Pagine

lunedì 7 novembre 2011

Be or Get used to something


Micheal has a new job. He has to wake up much earlier now than before. He finds it difficult because isn't used to waking up so early.
Now he has to get used to wake up so early.




Be used to
Be used to something means it is not new or strange for me: is used to show previous experience and familiarity with a certain situation. 
example:
- I am used to living abroad  
(I have previous experience living abroad, so it's not difficult for me)

- Mario is not used to living abroad 
(He doesn't have much experience living abroad or he doesn't like it)

- Lisa has never worked abroad, so she's not used to speak English constantly all day long 
(Lisa doesn't have previous experience as working with foreign language)


Get used to
Get used to is used for the process of acquiring experience and ability. 
In the beginning we are less experienced, then we get used to something: we got through a process of learning
example:
- I wasn't used to living abroad, but I got used to it 
(I didn't have expeirence living abroad, but I grew in experience until I was happy living abroad.

- I didn't like English breakfast, but I got used to it after a while.
In the beginning I didn't like bananas, but after a while I learnt to like them.


NOTE:
In the structure be / get used to, to is a preposition, not part of the to-infinitive. For example:
- I'm used to driving to to work everyday
correct

- I'm used to drive to work everyday.
Incorrect - "to drive" is a to-infinitive and can't be used here.

more examples:
- It took me a while, but I'm finally used to using this new software
- I'm getting used to the strange smell in the factory
- I'll never get used to the heat in India

- It was strange at first, but now I am used to China's food


We wrote about the form: I used to in October you can see it at this link http://innovatenglish.blogspot.com/2011/10/used-to.html
Best Blogger Tips

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento