Pagine

martedì 1 novembre 2011

Had better


"Saving energy helps you to save money but will also help to save the environment.
The real truth however is that saving energy can be accomplished by everyone, anywhere and at any time."
We'd better learn this..



Had better is used to suggest necessary action: 
I'd better do something = it is advisable to do it; if I don't do it, there will be probable negative consequences 
'd is the abbreviated form of had, not would
'd better is followed by the bare infinitive without to.

examples:
- I have to meet Jack in 30 minutes in Carnaby Street. I'd better go now, or I'll be late
- I'd better get back to work, the break finished 5 minutes ago.

The negative form is “had better not”.
- You'd better not say anything.
- I'd better not come to the party, I don't want to see my ex-girlfriend.

NOTE
Had better is similar to should but not exactly the same.
Had better is used only for a specific situation, not for things in general; should can be sed in all types of situations to give an opinion or give advices.

example:
- It's late. You'd better go / You should go (a specific situation)

- He is always at home playing videogames, he should do more sport.
(in general)


Best Blogger Tips

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento