Pagine

lunedì 24 ottobre 2011

Modal verbs: May - Might

May and might are used to say that something is a possibility. 

May
The modal verb may is manly used in written and formal contests, is rather formal and not used very often in modern spoken English.

Is possible to use it:
  • to ask for a permission:  
      May I have a cup of tea?  
        (this is the typical English contest we could imagine, like at 5 o'clock in the hall of a Lord's club)  
      May I borrow your pen? (in an office)

      • to suggest something is possible:  
            I may not have time to do it today. (in an office)

        Might
        Might suggests a smaller possibility than may, there is basically just a little difference and is more usual than 'may' in spoken English.
        • the modal verb might is used when the outcome is less probable or uncertain to happen:  
                Tom is not in the office, he might not work here anymore.
               (he is not in the office, but maybe he is just having a day off)


        more examples, in past version as well:
        - I can't find my wallet anywhere. I might have left it in the car.
        - I might not go to the party.
        - I wonder why Dave didn't answer the phone, he might have been sleeping.


        MORE:
        Could is similar to may and might:
        - What you've just said is a weird story, but it could be true = (it may/might be true)
        - You could have forgotten your wallet at home = (you may/might have forgotten)

        BUT remember that couldn't is different from may not and might not, compare:
        - Police said it couldn't have been an accident. (is propable that was something planned)

        - He didn't answer me. I might not have been English. (is probable that he wasn't able to understand me)


        more examples:
        - I haven't decided where to go next weekend, i might go to Milan. 
          (perhaps I will go to Milan = future plans)

        - I might not go out tomorrow evening, I don't feel good. 
          (perhaps I will not go out = future plans)

        - Don't phone at my parents' house at 11 o'clock, they might be already sleeping = Don't phone at my parents' house at 11 o'clock, they will be already sleeping Best Blogger Tips

        Nessun commento:

        Posta un commento