Pagine

giovedì 20 ottobre 2011

The Future Will/Shall

The first form of future we have studied in the past was the will form:



I will speak. I will not/won't speak. Will I speak?







Shall is also often used, only in formal contests in British English, in the first person (I/we) in questions when asking for permission, making suggestions, making an offer or asking for advice.
 I shall be at work on time. Shall we be at work on time? We shan't be at work on time.

The will/shall form is used when:
  • we decide to do something at the time of speaking: What would you like to drink? I'll have a cup of tea please.
  • we offer to do something: Your luggage seems to be heavy, I'll help you.
  • agreeing on something: Can you send me the email now? I'll do it straight away!
  • promising to do something: Ok I will help you to translate your thesis, in English.
  •  we give information about the future or predict future events that are not certain: Train will arrive to Parma around 7 o'clock, without delays.  
Also will form is used in the cases:
- I'll probably be late, don't wait for me..
- I think/don't think Carl will make it on time.
- I'm sure you will do the right thing, don't hesitate.
- I wonder where I'll be next year this time..
- I think/don't think I'll be called to the job interview.

Do not use the will form to say what somebody has already arranged or decided to do, example:
- I am going on holiday in June. (not I will go on holiday in June)

- We are planning to go to Jane's house on the Alps, in two weekends. (not we'll plan to go to..) Best Blogger Tips

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento