Pagine

martedì 11 ottobre 2011

For & Since


We have been waiting for one hour.

We have been waiting since 9 o'clock.





For is used in a sentence where is specified the period of time.
Since is used in a sentence where is specified the start of the period of time.

more examples:
- I have been working in this factory for 20 years old.
- I have been working in this factory since May 1991.

"How long has it been raining?"
- It has been raining for 6 hours
- It has been raining since noon

"How long have you been with your girlfriend?"
- We have known each other for a long time
- We have known each other sincewe were at the University

- We haven't been in a discoclub for ages.
- It's ages since we went to a discoclub. Best Blogger Tips

2 commenti:

  1. Hello Luca! I came across your page on Facebook and followed you here.

    I am commenting about this example from the "For & Since" blog post:

    "I have been working in this factory for 20 years old."

    I think what you mean is "for 20 years" (length of time).

    You might also say "since I was 20 years old."

    Toni Wheeler

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hello from Italy!
    thank you for your comment, I hope you like the blog.
    I started it up only two weeks ago..
    Btw, the contest of that sentence is that the actions is supposed to be not finished. Like "I have been working in this factory for 20 years next Monday, and we are going to celebrate it with a cake." :)

    RispondiElimina